Friday 20 July 2012

Accepting Homosexuality?






Firstly, I want to use this opportunity to say that everything I write on this blog is my personal opinion. I appreciate and admire your views and would love to hear from you. I'm learning everyday.

Okay so my last post was on marriage, and I know it seems very random that this topic is completely different from the last but I have my reasons for this current post and would definitely reveal it to you very soon.....

Homosexuality is  an issue most people refer to as controversial. Some people cringe at the mention of the word "HOMO" "GAY" or "LESBIAN". Some people don't even want to talk about it but the truth of the matter is that it exists, it's critical and it's real. There are different approaches to this topic. The moral/religious approach, the scientific approach and of course the cultural approach. Scientifically, it appears that sexual orientation is biological by nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic and hormonal factors and early uterine environment. Scientists therefore believe that a person's sexual orientation is "not a choice", people don't chose to be gay, it all started from their mother's womb!

Religious wise, Christians condemn homosexual activity outrightly, in fact it is seen as a sin. Passages from the Old Testament have been interpreted to argue that homosexuals should be punished with death. Islam also disapproves homosexual activity. Some people can go all day quoting different passages from the bible and Quran that speak against homosexual activity. Moreover, homosexuality is often described as morally wrong.

Culturally, Ha! Let's not even go there, we all know that it is frowned upon a great deal, especially in Africa. Some people still can't wrap their minds around why and how people of the same sex can be attracted to each other. As a good friend of mine would say " how can a man be attracted to another man?" But at the end of the day, she is not in their shoes and obviously can't understand how they feel. In Nigeria, lesbians, gay, bisexual and transgender persons face legal challenges. Homosexuality is illegal in Nigeria and is punishable by death by stoning according to the Shari'a law, and by up to 14 years Imprisonment.

Now to the Koko! I' m sure everyone knows a homosexual, either from a distance or very close; that is, friend or family. It is indeed no news that homosexuals are seen as different and some people have been disowned by family members because of this sexual orientation. Some people are ashamed of their homosexual sibling, child, cousin and so on. Many people believe they are abnormal and wouldn't come close to them, almost like they have a diseases. The western culture has accepted homosexuality to an extent but Africans still remain status quo. Homosexuality is still a taboo in our society and many gay people are still scared of coming out of the closet, although there are rumors of gay churches, clubs and what have you in Nigeria.

At the end of the day, what do we have in our society? We have homosexuals pretending to be heterosexuals, getting married the way society demands(man and woman) hurting themselves and their innocent spouse, who by the way, has to deal with the trauma of realizing that their spouse is actually not attracted to them in the slightest bit. Can you imagine how traumatic that could be? Yes, these things are happening in our society today! At times, i see some guys, i can sense they are gay, but because of fear of being rejected by members of the society, they find a girl/boy, fake interest just to tie the knot in order to please mummy and daddy and the society. So I ask, do you think letting homosexuals express themselves would prevent situations like this?

Homosexuals are everywhere in our society today. In most cases  we know they are, although there are times we are ignorant or just chose to be ignorant. Homosexuals are your friends, sister, brother, cousin, aunt, uncle etc. Are you accepting homosexuality today, if not, why? Please drop a line..........

24 comments:

  1. As far as I'm concerned all that medical aspect is crap! Why wud the same God that kicks against homosexuality, make some particular people born that way?? It doesn't add up. No comment about accepting them sha cos av Neva met one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being gay is so disgusting, how can a man be attracted to another, the way they have sex is worse, I can NEVER accept dem. God forbid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I' m a lesbian living in NIgeria,. I have been attracted to girls all my life, even when I was in primary school. I couldn't explain why I fancied girls back then even though all my other friends liked boys. I tried t free myself to like boys but there was attraction or Chemistry. When my friends used to giggle when boys came around, I didn't get it. I kept this a secret and went to an all girls secondary school. This was the chance for me to express myself. The feeling grew stronger and stronger. I couldn't resist the beautiful girls in my school, even though we were all on low cut, lol! This feelings something I cannot control, probably never will. I am not attracted to men at all, even though have had sex with a couple, for me ,i don't feel any connection.living as a lesbian in Nigeria hasn't been easy I must confess. Some of the girls I like are straight, or maybe they are just pretending or they haven't found a woman to turn their life around. There is this girl in my office am so attracted to, she probably has no clue i' m a lesbian, because am not a tomboy(people should never think lesbians dress like men) cos some lesiands are so feminine. I want this girl so bad, but am scared I'll push her away if I confess. I' m very nice to her, i' m always buying her things, taking her out, she thinks we are just friends, and it is killing me, I want her so bad, her lips, her hips, everything is just so sexy. She has a boyfriend,who treats her like crap, beats her and maltreats her. I want to rescue her, I want to show her that I feel her pain, I want to let her know I can do more than he can do. I can even marry her because she's amazing but I dint know how to tell her, someone pls advice me.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @vicky, my dear u need deliverance!are u a christian?cos if u trully are, u cannot in anyway be attracted toa woman like you!it is evil and will always be evil in the eyes of God

      Delete
    2. Don't allow the devil deceive you nne. It is sin. God didn't make u a lesbian. Go and find out the root of the matter. People should stop blaming God. Every gay or wateva they are called needs deliverance from that spirit. I almost fell and became one but God delivered me. So nne, accept Jesus and then be delivered.

      Delete
  4. I think everybody has a right to be who they want.I have absolutely nothing against homosexuality as I believe in that phrase that says “live and let's live”

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Anon 2 I think you should chill for now before you tell you friend about u having the hots for her.You know it might as well ruin your relationship.try finding som1 outside your workplace because from my experience workplace relationship always end up messy and nasty...believe that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki or wateva ur name is, u r sick in d head, I wish I knew u or ur workplace, I wud go and tell ur colleague to run from you, d way ur sounding, u'll soon rape the poor gal. Lele oshi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I don't agree with their lifestyle choice, my feelings are that even Jesus didn't condemn anyone when He walked on the earth, so who am I to say foul things about gay people. People are so quick to speak against them in the name of religion but I don't know anywhere in the bible that says its ever ok to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. vicki's number one fan23 July 2012 at 17:40

    Vicki I respect u for being honest and being urself. I jst discovered that there are a lot of lesbians in nigeria, especially in abj. My God! I get hit on by diff malo babes everytime,and they r so pretty n fresh I'm considerin jumpn on d boat but I dnt knw if lesbianism is rili my thin, jst find myself gazing at girls sometimes sha(I'll go lesbian for kim kardashian tho!) Me I think am bisexual sha, bcos I like both guys and gals, I wud love a threesome with jada pickett n will smith( they r swingers, so perfect) or mayb push jada out of the bed and invite kim k instead, her booty is mad! Vicki ps continue to stay true to urself, one day perhaps, gay marriages Will be aloowed in nigeria and u can snatch ur colleague from er husband and marry er! Goodluck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..there are some really strong comments on this topic. I live in the states so i am sort of used to gay/lesbian folks because they are everywhere and proud of it. While i don't agree with their sexual preference i've come to the realization that at the end of the day it is their CHOICE! What's sad is alot of the so call haters of gay/lesbians are actually gay themselves. Nigerian need to learn to deal with gays because its real and they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. homosexualitu is wroooooooong,avoid it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sense a lot of hate already from some of the comments, it's fine, I'm used to it! Well, I'm glad I stumbled into this blog, great write-up blogger! I like that u have an open mindset, shows ur brilliant! I' m gay and Proud! I want to use this opportunity to tell my fellow homosexuals that there is hope for us in Nigeria! Soon pastors that are gay will come out of the closet, gay politicians will also come out of the closet, even reverend fathers. There is no need to be ashamed of ur sexuality. My family members are ashamed of me but I'm proud of myself. I don't want to come back home to Nigeria bcos of their backwardness. Nigerians are full of shit! Pretenders! Hypocrites!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lmaoooooo! D comments on here r hilarious! Pls keep it comin! Now eating some popcorn and a chilled bottle of coke!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hhmmmmmm biso this is so interesting i cant i know a lot of lesbo's and i rilly cant be bothered about their sexuality but God help us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice one biso as bukky said God help us all xoxo faxie

    ReplyDelete
  15. My God! Ps I hope vicki and er supporter are jst jokin. U people need jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I think homosexuality is a fragile topic which is Spiritual and not good, if it was a good thing why then did God destroy a whole Kingdom..I don't wanna judge though.. Some people happen to be more attracted to same sex..

    ReplyDelete
  17. We need God abeg!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmmmm!!! Heavy sigh! I seriously don't know what to say on this issue of homosexuality but the truth is it is wrong!!!! and the question also is that who made them so? Vivian just said she has never bEen attracted to girls since she was in pry school, @ dt age who taught her to be gay? If its a disease dere should be a cure nd if there's no cure I tink we just av to live with it and pray to God so he can deliver us from this evil.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adedipo adetuyi2 August 2012 at 22:11

    Homosexuality is a choice like religion or even occupation. If you won't descriminate against a muslim or christian then why would you against someone who is gay? I believe people and even governments have no right to enforce a particular sexual orientation on anyone. Will they say now that some sexual positions or fantaSies are illegal, this boarders on slavery and its the highest act of terrorism and oppression! I believe everyone should have a right to do what they want as long as it doesn't harm their fellow man or the community at large. We should all learn to be tolerant. WWJD?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Personally if u are happy with your sexual orientation all good, but biblically it is not right before God, I still remem a class mate of mine, who use 2 do tomb boy wey back in school, I was thinkin it was 4 d fun o it, since when I went 2 an only girls skool, only 4 me 2 hear she was married and she left her hubby, I now realised she never wanted a man, she loved women, and I could see it in her, becos she was toastin me as well, I felt very irritated, but I don't wish bad 4 her, my own wish is dat all d gays and lesbians may one dey convert and find true love with d opposite, some were not even born with it, It could hve been 4rm secondaryschool a senior totured them sexually, and dat was d beginin of it all, some might just love it, even now in nigeria some don't even hide it, if u enter bus at times u could pick who is gay, I always know one, when I see, just wished dem d grace 2 change , and see a different perspective about life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Coker Gabriel Omoniyi31 December 2012 at 17:33

    Bisodun nice write up. However, being gay is a dearth on societial values especially from the first Unit called the family. I think Homosexuality and other freaky stuffs show a decline in family value. The US or Uk which a lot of the pro gays here have cited have very low moral values. Its basically an absence of moral values in any system! May God restore Vicky cos she's lost! Its even more sick when guys do each other. Yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Menn!!this world is coming to an end,if human beings created by God can talk like this.d fact is nobody is discriminating anybody homosexuality is just a moral decline....dd u ask your self how 2came to being..how to came 2dis planet...if God wanted male&male he should have just made adam and adam...why is there penis&a hole(vagina) because it is d right thing(God ordained it)..so all those people that devil is using @ tools 2make this feel right..I hope u won't be dining wit devil on d last day.

    ReplyDelete