Monday 30 July 2012

SHE'S A SINGLE "MURDER"!




Dazzle Elementary's end of the year party was a highly anticipated day. Every kid looked forward to the fun filled day, parents inclusive. It was an opportunity for the kids to indulge in "everything sweet" and an avenue for parents to network in addition to unwinding. The day finally arrived and everyone looked dashing. 7 year old Tracey sat next to her 'besto' Omo. These little cutie-heads were inseparable. Every one called them sisters and as a matter of fact, their parents couldn't wait to be acquainted. Tracey's parents were the first to arrive. After staying at the event for a couple of hours with no sign of Omo's parents, they decided to leave, completely disappointed they didn't meet Omo's parents.
"Omo sweety, are you sure your parents will still be coming? The party's almost over" Tracey's mother asked.
"My mummy will come, she always comes, even though she comes late,"
"What of your dad? Isn't he coming?"
"My daddy? I live with my mummy, only me and my mummy"
Tracey's mother paused, she was taken aback by Omo's remarks.
"So it's just you and your mum in the house?"
"Yes just me and my mummy, she's my best friend, she and Tracey"
The expression on Tracey's mother's face changed instantly,she kept a straight face and pulled her daughter aside whispering in her ears "stay away from Omo, she's from a broken home, you have different upbringings, I don't want her to influence you, her mother is a "single mother".
However, what Tracey's mother didn't know was that Omo heard everything she said, her words weren't exactly whispers.
So did Tracey cut off from her best friend? Yes she did, she stayed far far away!


We could say Tracey was a mere child, obviously naive and wouldn't know right from wrong, but the truth is even adults are often seen doing the same thing. In our society, single mothers are often discriminated against.

Single mothers are single because of circumstance, but should it matter what the circumstances are? Here are some the reasons why some mothers are single;
1. Death, she lost her husband
2. Divorce/Separation/Desertion
3. She had a kid out of wedlock, intentionally or unintentionally.

In our society, a woman who loses her husband is the only one most likely going to be exempted from this stereotype. However, the truth is that majority of single mothers have in fact gone through a divorce or a long term relationship breakdown but people don't bother to hear their stories, they simply make derogatory statements about them. Single mothers are often tagged as "promiscuous" "immoral" "selfish" "narcissist" and what have you. Morality permits no waiver for those with special circumstances. I mean some women were actually abandoned by their husbands, e.g the typical case of a husband/father travelling overseas for greener pastures but never returning or one who just absconds. But in our society, It is morally wrong to be a single mother. Even in the 21st century, the shame and social isolation still exists, especially in Africa.

Now to the crux of the matter, " children raised by single mothers". It has been stated that children in single-parent families, to be sure, face obstacles to developing important moral qualities. Ethical development is rooted in emotional development, and children in single-parent families may suffer more persistently from those feelings; shame, distrust, cynicism- that commonly eat away at children's capacities for caring, responsibility, idealism, and other important moral qualities. Is this really true? Are children raised by single mothers missing out on important moral qualities?
Children raised by single mothers are often stigmatized, discredited and victimized. A friend of mine met a wonderful guy a while ago, or so she thought. She was certain he was "the one" but the moment homeboy found out she was raised by a single mother, you know what he said?, " I can't marry a girl from a broken home" or was it the time my cousin who has an amazing voice by the way, was rejected by the church choir, the pastor said "HA! what example would she lay? Someone please shoot me!. They didn't care if these ladies were well-cultured and well-educated , they just couldn't deal with the stigma. I have observed that society subconsciously expects children raised by single mothers to exhibit certain behavioral patterns. The child would most likely be rude, uncultured, promiscuous(in the case of a girl child), and immoral?. It is said that a single parent cannot instill the core values a child needs, there is always a missing link when a child is brought up singlehandedly. Research over the years shows that children in single-parent homes generally fare worse than those homes with two parents. It is also said that family structure does contribute to certain characteristics of a child's wellbeing therefore, children who are from single parent homes tend to have problems with depression, emotional stress and difficulties in school compared to children from two parent homes. Studies show that drop-outs, and criminals were most likely brought up by a single parent. Isn't it astounding? Is this really the case with children brought up by single mothers?

But the reality is that there are children in single-parent homes that are not morally defective. Some of them grow up to be wonderful people. What behavioral patterns do you expect from children whose parents are very much together( not separated or divorced) but have miserable marriages? Aren't these children equally exposed to the so-called dangers, children from single-parents homes face? I mean these children have both parents living together but all they are exposed to is, violence, hate, mood swings, and anger. Children in these shoes most likely won't get models of fairness, respect and compassion.

People who know single mothers can relate with some of the problems they face in our society on a daily basis, from their place of work, to housing, to relationships and even religion. Some companies would not employ single mothers, just as how some churches would not allow a single mother sing in the church choir. Some landlords don't want single mothers as tenants and some men would never date single mothers. "She is a single murder", they say, I ask , "Is it a crime?" "who did she kill?" All I see is someone who went through hell to give life!

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece Biso! Its so sad how hypocritical our society is. I know people who were raised by a single parent and are well balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldnt really blame ppl 4 tinkin d way dey do most times.i am from a broken home,nt bcs i chose dt myself bt d truth is dts whr i found myself.my parents had d opportunity 2 chose who dey wanted 2 marry bt i dint have dt privilege of choosin who my parents wuld b.growin up wsnt easy 4 me cos i had 2 watch my mum go thru pains evryday.i almost tot she ws gonna die.it ws sooooo embarassin 4 me as a child bcs d whole street will surround my house wen my dad stats his beatings.we wld always go 2 chch wit my mums black eyes and ppl will always ask question.i ws always ashamed 2 go out or even go 2 chch.as a child i culd hardly mix up bcs wen i have a slight quarel wit my frends dey will always use it 2 insult me.if uv neva experienced all dis u wld neva undastand.trust me!!!my mum finally left d home wen it bcame so unbearable.wen she Left my dad transferred all d agression on us.wen we came of age, we had 2 my mum bcs we were neva close 2 him and he ws sooo violent.abt 4 of us r thru wit school,thx 2 my struggling mum.since my dad neva cared.none of us is wayword.we r all well brot up.and am really sorry 2 say dis.its beta dey r separated bcs i prefer dem stayin apart peacefull than leaving 2geda fighting evryday and ppl hav 2 stat comin 2 separate fight.d violence ws tooo unbearable.anyone who wants 2 blame me or says He wunt marry me bcs am frm a broken home,am sorry its his loss and obviously he isnt ready,bcs am very sure av been thru a lot and i wuldnt want my kids 2 go thru same.a real man will always kno wat he wants against all odds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah..wt abt ppl dt were brot up by both parents bt afta deir own marriage dey leave deir husbands 4 one reason or d oda?will d so called society say abt dt?wuld dey say deir parent dint bring dem up well 2?ppl shld wake up abeg.hw abt d arowolo case. D banker who ws murdered in cold blood by her husband.if she had left earlier,her story wunt b a case study 2day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I 4got 2 say dis in my earlier comment,my siblings r d most intelligent in deir class nw.and am nt jokin.3 of dem always come out top in deir classes.we r from broken home o.dnt 4get dt! Nt like am happi abt cming frm a broken home,bt all d same am nt sad bcs its nt my fault in anyway

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to read this...i'm a single mother and i know what it feels like,meeting a guy and liking each other from the very beginning but the moment he knows about my child;it's as if i told him i'm HIV+....lol,but what i say to myself is "his loss"....it's not easy though because thoughts of whether it's goina be this way forever lingers...my dad always tells me:"whoever is goina love u,wud love and accept ur son as his,don't ever consider it as a stigma,know ur worth,lift ur head high,u r a beautiful woman"....
    i'm a strong woman,i wont settle for less,neither would i accept a man treating me like he's doing me a favour...i believe in love and some day,it's goina find me...i love my son,nothing else matters...*smile*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Abiso, this is a very interesting one. hmmmm!!! this is serious. i have a friend who was also raised by her mum alone with her younger ones and her elder sis. later, her mum remarried, and the man was always maltreating them whenever their mum travelled, before you know it, they left their step dad's house to rent their own apartment. after their mum came back to nigeria, she went back to the man's house!!! really, i dont unerstand the woman at all!!!!??? but thank God, my friend is married now and her sis is getting married soon as well and they are both doing very well. issues like this comes in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am sorry but I no fit marry after one, nt my thing! All u women dat go around tryna 2 hook a man with pregnancy, shine ur eyes well well! He wnt marry u, u 'll nw become after one! D only single mums I pity r dose dat lost deir hubbs even so-called divorcees, fix ur marriage! Stop being proud! U r nt hot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am very familiar with the issues surrounding a single parent home because I am from one myself, it is partly true that some children from single parent homes suffer certain faiths both in Africa and the western world but what I cannot agree with is the stigma and brand that the affected children are left with. Whatever happened with our parents in fairness does not concern us and it is only fair that we should be given the same opportunities as everyone else. Whether you are from a single parent background or two parent background I don't see how this should affect your own future decisions and marriage. My mom worked harder than most because she knew she had to be both the father and mother to us and some of the values I learnt from her have given me the strength and independence I need to face any situation I find myself.As my mom always says to my elder sister who is married "I don't want you to go through all I did as a single parent that is why my prayer for u always is that you are happy in ur marriage"..as far as I am concerned people from two parent backgrounds can learn a thing or two about life from those that grew up with a single parent. Don't judge a book by its cover.Check whether you are marrying or engaging with a lady/guy from a good family not whether they are from a two parent or 1 parent family background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol @ single murder, do people actually say that? I have been guilty in the past of passing judgement when I don't even know the back story. I have a few friends in the same situation and I know better now. I know its not easy but like you mentioned there are different reasons and not all single moms made the decision to trap a guy. A father figure is always needed in a child's life regardless and there are many people who can fulfill the role. People will always judge but really who cares, they always have something to say anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!!! this is nice and really a lesson pple should learn from..enough of the stereotyping....LOVELY PIECE

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an emotional piece...lost my dad in 2000 and since den it has been mumci takin care of us. I would not lie it wasn't easy but I tank God. True talk Society criticise single parent upbringing forgeting that its not the presence of both parents that reflects on the character of the child but the parents demselves been disciplinarians. My mum over the yrs has been so discipline towards us infact her nick name IRON LADY and I found out that she wanted us to be well moulded because as she puts it because ur from a single parent upbringing you would be criticised in so many ways I want my kids to be responsible and accountable in all areas of their life so no loophole is created to point fingers...I personally didn't enjoy seein my mum go tru the whole stress of being a man and a woman...no one prays for that...its reli painful wen ur being criticised because of such status...well I luv my mum die and anyman who doesn't appreciate that and leaves me because of that...was neva meant to be with me...I mean even God is not sleepin he would bring a man that would luv me and help me appreciate my mum and pamper her well for all she's been tru over the years...WE ladies especially should just pray for God to bless us with our bone to bone and flesh to flesh IJN AMEN...FAXIE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incisive Bisodun, incisive.

    ReplyDelete