Thursday 26 July 2012

PLEASE DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER!





Sola and Derin met at Kenny's book reading. Sola was Kenny's best buddy while Derin had tagged along for the event with a friend. Reapplying her lipgloss severally, Derin knew Sola was going to hit on her, he gaped at her like a mysterious painting from Thailand. A few hours later, Sola summoned up some courage and approached her. Luckily, they hit it off immediately and she agreed to dine with him at an Italian restaurant the following day.  As soon as Derin got to the parking lot at the restaurant, a cute little kid approached her with flowers and a note which read " I love your smile" and she gave a wider smile. When she got into the restaurant, there wasn't a single soul. She became frightened, different thoughts running through her head. 
"Hey beautiful!" Someone whispered from behind. 
"Oh my God! You scared me"  she gushed, placing her hands on her chest.
"I'm sorry, didn't mean to" Sola said coyly.
" Where's  everyone, the staff, the guests?"
" Oh them?...... Well........ I made them go for a short break cause I wanted to cook for you myself"
" Awww, you cook? She said, her face flushed bright pink.
From that moment,Derin was hooked! Sola was too good to be true.
9 years and two kids later, Derin had the perfect life. She had the latest rides, clothes, shoes and jewelry and was the envy of all her friends. What they didn't know was that she was suffering and smiling. The very sweet and romantic Sola was now a raging monster. He beat her on a daily basis making her deaf in one ear and as if that wasn't enough, he left her with dislocated hands and legs.
One night,Derin looked in the mirror, she didn't recognize who she saw. She hated who she had become and certainly couldn't take it anymore. She made her way to her kids room, staring at them sadly, she didn't want them witnessing all that violence anymore, in fact her eight year old daughter had vowed  never to get married. She picked up a gun, one Sola had threatened to use on her severally. She headed to their bedroom, and stared at him angrily. Snoring loudly,  Sola was fast asleep. She stood next to him, memories of the series of bashings running through her head. She took a deep pained breath and tapped him, pointing the pistol at him. 
"Oh my God!  he flinched,  lifting his hands in the air.
"Sola, this is for all the pain you have caused me, I want my freedom!" she cried.
"Please don't pull the trigger! He begged.

Should she pull the trigger in return for all the years of physical pain, emotional trauma, miscarriages, harsh words, insults, abandonment, and cheating, that would most likely leave her scared for life or should she just walk away? Sometimes, it gets this bad, some women want to end it all!

Sola and Derin's  deadly relationship isn't news, it happens everyday, all over the world. It is called domestic violence. Domestic violence can be defined as a pattern of behavior in any relationship that is used to gain power and control over an intimate partner. Abuse could be physical, sexual, emotional,economical  or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. These includes behaviours that frighten, intimidate, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, injure or wound someone. Domestic violence can happen to anyone of any race( whether Kim kardashian or Genevieve Nnaji) age( Mama rainbow or mo'cheddah) sexual orientation( Ellen DeGeneres or Paris Hilton), gender( man or woman). It can happen to couples who are married, living together or dating.

I'm sure this is probably the hundredth time you are hearing this topic and you probably want to close this page, but please read on. Domestic violence is very rampant in our society and it seems to be getting worse by the day. In fact, it's now a trend society is slowly accepting. I mean, a girl tells people her man beat her, and they say "you'll manage o, marriage is not easy!". I'm positive we all know people going through domestic violence, either  acquaintances, friends and family. Some people have no idea because the victims never spill but you need to be attentive. You can't see a strange mark on Tara's face, she tells you "I fell off the....... (whatever she cooks up at that moment) and you fall for it.  My people that  bruise on Ijeoma's hand wasn't the burner, It was Chukudis's  Gucci belt. That cut on Feyi's forehead wasn't the door, it was Tunde's fist and finally Zainab's dislocated hand wasn't caused by the trainer at the gym, it was Alhaji! Let's  try to be more attentive.

Although there are different types of violence, physical abuse is the most popular, may be because it often results to death but we must know that even psychological abuse is equally deadly. Some "battered women" who can't comprehend the physical abuse, especially the secretive ones, feel unloved, develop low self esteem and end up feeling depressed. It is this depression that often leads to their death. They end up committing suicide. 

In our society, just a few women have been courageous enough to walk out of violent relationships, majority of them stay giving  different reasons to justify their actions. Some women stay because they took those "vows" and for them, it is really "till death do us part" and often times, death will put them apart because one day, bros will vex and kill sister! Some stay because of the children the relationship produced, some stay for financial support, some stay because they think so low of themselves, they cannot imagine living in this world without their abuser( the abuser has successfully messed with their heads), some stay because of what people would say (no one wants to feel like their marriage was unsuccessful)and of course some stay because Pastor preaches against divorce, moreover the bible also preaches against divorce. Some women have even vowed to die married, than live single! Their marital status has more value than their lives.

The effects of domestic violence vary. Some women become bitter and frustrated and snap at everyone around them, some become very vulnerable and weak, they eventually become depressed and commit suicide, while some seek revenge and kill their abusers like Derin attempted. Either way the end result is pretty ugly.


So I ask and  please I want your honest opinion, if you knew someone going through physical abuse, married or unmarried, I mean, you've even gone as far as witnessing it, what would you do? When is it time for her to flee? please drop a line.................

33 comments:

  1. first i would like to start by saying i do not support domestic violence, and i feel any man that puts his hands on a woman is a coward.If i knew anyone going through such a situation my only advice would be "pack your bags and run away"......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But to be fact, its really tragic and not easy for a lady to make such quick opinion, in d other case, especially if there is already a good fruit in d marriage(child)...such decision is hard to make

      Delete
  2. I witnessd domestic violence when my friends boyfriend beat d shit out of her in my boyfriends house.I advicd her 2 quit d relationship,and she gav me the "where will I start from" speech...2day dey r marrid with a kid,d neigbours get few hours of sleep bcos of dia incesant fights...one was so intense he pushed her on in2 dia big TV and she has nasty scares  her hand,of which she said she sustaind in a car crash. Or is it d one he used belt on her while she was bathing? I strongly condenm domestc violence. If u r marrid n u r in a violent relationship,pls keep an open mind. Not bcos u want to stay marrid,u'l let some1 dat did not create u,kill u. Den if u r single....@ d slightest punch....pls develop husain bolts legs and sprint frm such a demon! Don't bother where u'll start frm....Men poju! Miss B more posts pls....lovg ds blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. segilola ajisoge27 July 2012 at 09:14

    hmmmm!!!I remember the story of the guy that killed his wife sometimes ago that was in the papers, hmmmm if she had known then she would have packed her bags and you see what happened to her, she died eventually. i'm very sure someone somehow must have adviced her then, trying to guess what her replied wud have been? sure she would have said the same thing like *where do i start from*..... May God help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a guy' 2 cents27 July 2012 at 09:29

    Dnt condone violence in any form! But sometimes wwomen need to learn to keep ur mouth shuts! U say a man beat u, u 2 wat did u do 2 alllow dat happen? You talk dwn at ur man, u let him feel like shit! Some of u even have d guts to slap him, hw dare u? Av u 4gtten dat men r wayyy stronger dan u! Wen he wants 2 hang wif his boys, u start conplainin like a damn nag! U nag nag nag! All dese tins mess wif a man's ego and God bless u if ur man is naturally violent. My advise is womenn study ur men, if u knw u av a mike tyson in ur house, respect urself n knw hw to act!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr 2 Cents, i want to believe you aren't female as a victim of domestic abuse myself all what you just typed is just a bunch of crap! Most victims never actually raise their voices or their hands at their abuser. A lot of these men are just boys who have had their egos bruised. NO MAN HAS THE RIGHT TO HIT THE WOMAN HE SLEEPS WITH. Gosh!

      Delete
    2. Mr 2 cents, I'm sure u beat women. I have 3 elder brothers. If u dare raise ur hands to hit me, my brothers will beat d shit out of u. If she annoys u, leave her and marry a woman that wouldn't argue with u.

      Delete
  5. As a victim of domestic abuse myself i would have to say people really need to be observant and get in the face of the victim. Societal pressures and expectations is what keeps a lot of victims in these messed situation. Friends and family really need to be supportive and reach out..............It is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. V.v. interesting post Mis B, im loving it! Personally, i dont even have much to say, domestic violence is not even an option to be discussed for me. Y would i leave my father's house, who has never attacked me and has paid for everything in my life till this age and go 2 a man's house, who will be brushing me at the slightest provocation? Is it that deep? I think people that stay in such relationships have either grown up in an abusive home and have therefore come to terms with such abuse or have really low self esteem. Thank-God i have neither! Bless..Obk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Women r terrible animals who bring out the worst in men!Power 2 my brodas who put bitches in check!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put to you that every woman that come in contact with such men as killers, they kinda know that such men who slaps them jokingly while dating will surely kill them when married.But the problem we have is most of us keep saying he will change or for the sake of our children.But I believe it is healthy for them to live in a peaceful environment even with a single parent. Abisodun you have done well with this write up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yep, happened in d past, happens everyday. Let's face it, it won't stop happening. just like rape, murder n all d wrong things. The truth is, we never know what we wld do if we were in Derin & all dese other women's shoes. So let's not judge them instead, let's pray for those that suffer domestic violence, those that commit the very act & for families that raise children cos its usually d circumstances in which kids are raised that forms their behavioural pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr 2 cents and Anonymous 01.39, from your comments, its very obvious that you are women beaters.my advice to you is to desist from such act cos if care isn't taken, u will hit the wrong person someday and the person dies, u end up in JAIL. so be warned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point of correction,nt all wifebeaters end up in jail! Espeecially in Nigeria, dey get away wit it! Lmaooooo.I love 9ja! I'll brush any gal wey fuck up!

      Delete
    2. BADGUY U ARE AN IDIOT.

      Delete
  11. Hmmm,biso..........so much to say bout ds,have bin in an abusive relationship and thinkin bout it now am like WTF was i tinkin stayin......*nw knckin myself*,now he never got to the point of hittin me but we were gettin der,he wld hold me and shake me,tell me to my face "you are very stupid,dumb girl" ,or id b cryin and he would say to me"you tink its only u that can cry,take a bucket and fill it up,.....i rember the "go to hell".....or "shut up when am talking","or u dnt question me"i also rember the "your a bitch,a cheat"......whao........emotionally it was horrible,the scars were not visible,i cldnt put a bandage n watch the wounds heal,i was bin hurt on the inside,loosin all my confidence,bcome ds timid grl,hmmm.....bad bad bad. Now crazy tin is in all ds i neva got to say its over,i just always tôt the loving,kind,gentle and caring guy i feel for is still der,and i started to tink mayb am the problem,mayb am to stubrn and i make him react this way.......hmmm truth is he was a control freak, jealous,hot tempered,insecure,low self esteemed idiot*feels good writing that*,whewww.......am not ashmd of this relationship because have learnt from it,grown out of it and i op i help other people too. At some point he told me point blank he would hit me if the need arises.........then i would tell myself am brkin up wit him,but then he would apologise and be the sane guy again,but he his who he his. I didnt tell anyone at home cos they all knew the kind,gentle,banker,writer,motivational speaker boyfrnd and i loved him *knckin myself again,lol. Did i mention he his in the choir in church and doesnt miss his mid week servces,no mata ow busy wrk is.
    And he moves the earth when he prays,and when he sing......O M G,ul become bornagain and again......lol.
    When i read about men that kill their women or abuse their women i tink to myself that could be me,and i tank God.

    Ladies pls the momnt he shws these signs step out of d'relationshp. We are all made to be loved,cherished,happy and cared for.
    Bin witout a relationshp is betr and safer than bin in an abusive one....#Gbam#

    Excuse any typo errs,writin as it came to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Women listen up! If ur man beats u, run! Run far away! Once a man hits u, run also cause he'll neva stop! He is a beast u need 2 run away frm b4 it gets wrse. Poor titi arowolo(rip) she died as a result of violence. Stop makn excuses 4 ur men!

    ReplyDelete
  13. God punish all those bastard men dat hit their women! Derin should ps pull the trigger! I was in a violent relationship for years, it took him pushn me dwn d stairs to realise, my time was up! I ran, I'm free! I'm alive! Av got my groove back again jesu seun!.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All u bitches cursin men out! It takes 2 to tangle, u'll reap wat u sow, if u sow violence(insults) u'll reap violence(slaps). Learn 2 always shut d fuck up! Ur aLl cryn nw, sayn "he beat me" "he push me", hw abt u assess ur damn selves! A word is enuf 4 d wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BIGGEST FOOL EVER.

      Delete
    2. BIGGEST BiTCH EVER

      Delete
    3. Anon 02:43, you're such a dickhead! Bloody fool

      Delete
  15. Please women in violent relationships runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a guy I have experienced domestic violence and I remember the vividly the sharp knife coming at me in my girlfriend's hand I was lucky to escape with only a bite mark on my chest scaring me for the rest of my life I got out of the relationship as quick as I could so therefore its not only women that experience physical abuse by a partner

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sincerely,it is difficult to end a relationship,and most women will rather stay in it than face d humiliation which comes with divorce in this world of ours.Personally,and pple who know me will testify to it,my advice to pple in this kind of situation is to leave after d first slap,regardless of the stage the relationship has gotten to.A leopard never changes its spot and an abusive relationship is spiritually,physically and morally wrong.Just my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't agree with pulling the trigger, it solves nothing. Its a different situation when he is attacking her and she has to defend herself.
    On the issue of domestic violence, its such a sad topic, cos no one deserves to experience this. It takes a strong person to get out from such a situation. I feel especially for the kids born into such homes, cos violence will become a norm to them, imagine what will happen when they are much older!
    Take the Rihanna issue for example, for the life of me I don't understand why she still wants this guy, but if you read about her childhood, that was a norm. I beg mothers to remember this when they decide to stay with their abusers. At the end of the day the abuser is just an angry person with lots of insecurities and preys on another instead of dealing with the real issues and yeah a coward!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow......well am a victim of both verbal and physical abuse...its a day i still remember so fresh in my mind and i must say..it's really bad because i had a low self esteem from that moment..i stayed back saying i loved him and he was just been angry but trust me,that was the worst decision i made in my life.....he earlier showed signs of physical abuse but i blamed it on him been angry and all but the day it happened...i kept on wondering why but i still stayed bk after he abused me physically....but Thank God,later i was able to come out of that relationship and move on...still dealing with the self esteem issues and feeln unloved and lonely bt leaving such a relationship has been bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very simple: Run 4 ur life.

      Delete
    2. Oloriburuku ni awon okunrin, akoshibero. Eree tete lese omo obirin ti o ba ni ogbon, aye ife oni da. meaning, men r useless and foolish, a sensible lady wld run far away if she finds herself in such a situation, e no go beta for luv.

      Delete
  20. U don't even have to wait for him to raise his hands b4 u knw u r in a wrong relationship. U can read from his reactions, from the things he says. I ws in a relationship 1ce, the guy neva raised to beat me, but I saw all the signs, if I had stayed in the relationship and married him, oooh, am sure it wud hav gotten to dat. He wud say things like "I hate ur friends", if am hanging with my friends, he wud complain. He wud hit me(though jokingly), there ws one time we wr out 2geda, he said "see hw all dis guys r looking at u, wen we get married, I wud lock u upp in the house", even though he said this jokingly, I ws very sensitive. I am a lawyer, but I was seriously thinking of branching into events management, he said, I shud nt even try dat, cos event management ws for loose ladies, that I should prolly be a judge, whr I would be wearing these big gowns, and no one wud see me.
    Bottom line is, u don't hav to wait till he beats u, once u start noticing the signs, pls runn out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd shoot both legs and his balls before I leave... lol. On a more serious note, if your friend ain't listening and won't leave, do the next best thing...pray. When a person is in an unhealthy relationship blinded by love or what other excuse the world may give it, every outsider who says anything else becomes an enemy of progress. I'd like to go and help my friend, sister, aunt, who ever the victim may be but if the person has insight and does not see what you see, its a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the anonymous comment says it for me. the signs are all there. he doesn't need to raise his hands. a man who tells you he slapped his ex girlfriend because she was being nasty..... hmmmmm and you are still there? the truth is that if you are sensitive, not desperate and prayerful, you won't even get to that point.

    ReplyDelete