Friday 10 August 2012

I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!


Do these words sound familiar? Have you ever uttered these words? Well, I have, in fact, a couple of times. Some people have gotten me so mad or hurt, I uttered those words.
Have you ever been hurt so badly by someone that you find it difficult to forgive? At that point, the words "just forgive and forget" sound so annoying, you just want to shove the person suggesting it? Does it hurt to just let your offender off the hook, pretending the offense never occurred? If that is what forgiveness is all about,most of us want nothing to do with it.It's just so hard!

Forgiveness is letting go of the need for revenge and releasing negative thoughts of bitterness and resentment. May I add that it is also one of the hardest things to do. You are expected to forgive, when someone offends you, because religiously and morally keeping a grudge will not only deprive you of God's mercies/blessings, but you feel this sense of guilt when you're about to pray, remember when you tell God "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us"?. So automatically you feel the need to forgive and let go, whether you mean it or not,in order to be at peace with your creator. Keeping a grudge has also been said to affect one mentally, and health wise, which explains why people try to avoid it.

In recent studies, social scientist are discovering that forgiveness may help lead to victims emotional and even physical healing and wholeness. They believe that the personal benefits of forgiveness include, release from anger, and stress which have been linked to psychological problems such as; high blood pressure, cancer, hypertension, cardiovascular diseases and other psychosomatic  illness.  Even though some of us know there is a likelihood of these side effects, we just don't care! We feel a certain way at that point, and just can't help it or just don't care!

However, I have come to realize that a lot of us fake forgiveness, which in my opinion, is worse. When you're hurt,wouldn't it be better to give yourself time to heal? Okay, I'm not saying heal forever o! but don't fake it! For religious or moral reasons, you find people reconciling with their offenders immediately, forming chummy and hanging out, this is  popularly known as "oju aye"( a Yoruba saying) which connotes "faking love or interest". But deep down inside, you have "unfinished business". You probably can't stand the person. Wouldn't "faking reconciliation" leave you in the same position? At least in Gods' sight, cause he sees your heart, and knows you want to poison Ada, if Mama Silifa  gives you poison! Guys beware! Some people you've offended are talking to you but are still hurting on the inside, they are simply talking to you because they want to "fulfill all righteousness" and show the world that "Hey everyone! Look at me, I'm the bigger person, i'm talking to Jonathan, even though he slept with my wife!" or they are just seeking revenge! But when you're asleep,they will pour acid on you! Gbagbe! Also,offenders need not be self-centered. I mean if you've done something terrible to a person, you can't expect your victim to forgive you instantly, Haba!. You can't have stolen Sheila's man with your sexy curves, apologize once or twice and accept to go for dinner with her the following day, even though she swears she wants you there! (Don't be ignorant, na oju aye o!). In my opinion, forgiveness does not require "immediate reconciliation with your offender". You can forgive without being reconciled. Some people need time to heal, and reconciliation may follow, emphasis on "may", because in some cases, it just won't happen.Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know you've all been hurt, and hmm....... some hit you like a ton of bricks! Someone you trusted so much, stabbed you in the back! You are so pained that you haven't let go, and really,  at some point you've actually considered letting go but you just can't, different things bring back awful memories.Are you finding it difficult to forgive someone today? Perhaps your father, who called you names when you were younger e.g "You dullard!Olodo! Why can't you come first like your peers?" "You are my worst child". Those words hurt you so bad, and damaged your self esteem resulting to bitterness and lack of forgiveness? Or when you were younger, your sister told her friends you were a bed wetter, a deep dark secret, you thought was only between family? Or most commonly, you were jilted by someone you thought was the love of your life? Abandoned by a parent? Abused by your partner? "Misyarned about"? Insulted by your boss/friend/sibling/partner? Duped by friends/business partners and so on.

Some have said that restoring a broken relationship might involve things like, restitution, a period of detachment, and new boundaries for the relationship. What has worked for you?
Have you ever felt so hurt that you've said "I'll never forgive you". If you have, do you intend letting go or have you already let go? Please drop a line............

20 comments:

  1. How poSsibly do u expect me to forgive a man I waited for 4 2yrs becos he went for his masters and at the end of his programme, he told me he wld come home briefly den go bak for his graduation.when he got bak,he came with several suit cases wit wedding dress and all sorts, he told me he brought it for his friend who is geTting in kwara state. Apparently, he was d one getting married , he got married and went bak witout me knowing cos he told me he was d best man.few months later, I ran into a pregnant lady wit flat tyre so I lend her my extra tyre and told her to return it. When she returned it. She insisted I speak wit her hubby ova d fone cos her husband wanted tto thank me. Lo and behold, d husband in question was my Bolaji odumosu, same man I have been waiting for for almost 3 years. Dat was wen it occured to me dat he actually came for his wedding wen he said he came for his friends. Imagine my pain amd grieve. But I thank God I'm happly married wit 3 kids now. But I just can't forgive him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey dear! I can only imagine your hurt. For as long as you hold him in unforgiveness he still has the edge over you. Let him go for your own good and peace of mind. Just read your post and I my mind has already come up with so much. He is obviously a coward. Don't let me control the rest of your life. Holding a grudge does that. There ought to be emoticons on blogspot jor! I am sending you a massive hug.

      Delete
    2. this is the most ridiculous comment ever. you are a bad commentator

      why would you post a person's name in your stupid story.

      Delete
  2. Miss Bee! Beautiful piece as usual. Forgiving someone can be done out of selfish reasons at times. Forgetting for me is the hardest and that's when the oju aye surfaces! God help me. Like you rightly said, its ok to forgive and not be chummy with the person again. Its hard though when its a spouse, sibling or parent. The truth of the matter is there is a peace that comes with letting go and not allowing the moron :) (excuse my language) continue to control one's thought life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm!! things are happening ooo, if we forgive, how do we forget? i was once engage before with a ring on my finger and this guy later came with some silly silly excuses, not knowing that he don give one babe belle for uk and they were planning to get married!!! now the thing is, i have forgiven him but i will never forget becos anytime i remember him, my heart bleeds so i dont really know if i have forgiven him or not! what do we call that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i shud also mention my own name as well. Tayo .I.

      Delete
  4. Bolaji Odumosu, Bolaji Odumosu, Bolaji Odumosu! Emelo ni mope e? You don enter yawa! Dis babe neva forgive u ooooo? Bettr go and beg er! Me I don talk my own shaoooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! Rudeboy well said! The guy doesn't know what's about to hit him o. She is still very hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now dat everybody is dropping names, I jst mite call d name of d looser dat broke my heart, I will neva eva forgive him, I was eveb pregnant with his child, I think d shock of hearing he was gettn married made me have a miscarriage. Tayo A. I will neva 4give u. I'l pity u n use d initial of ur last name. You'll neva progress in life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree wit all I hav read. But forgiveness is something we do for ourselfs and not the other party who has wrongd us becus until we truly forgive d other we truly havnt moved on. And life is too beautiful to live with regrets. Pls let's try to forgive so we can truly apprcte the fact dat if u havnt met dat boy or gal u wldnt b whr ever u are today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lord pls give me d spirit of forgiveness...bcos I knw it's nt easy to forgive nd forget.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ladies, I knw its difficult wen men hurt u but u need 2 let go n let God. Swearn for all dese men wnt help u.meanwhile, I was hrt by a frnd. He duped me, a deal we did 2gda, he jst messed up. I mean we r cool but I jst can't forget it, m also very wary of him which hasn't kinda put a gap in our frnship. I dnt trst him and neva will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Women r jst dumb bitches. A man dumps u and ur cursing him. U no fit get message? He no want u, he no want u be dat, commot joor! I jst hate dumb bitches. All u bitches goin to babalawo to trap man, u don fail! One babe try am for me, she no knw say Power pass power.me sha I dey forgive easily, nt a bog deal, person go always fuck up. I jst dey treat d fuck up and I go forgive u.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Badguy ur so right! I'm very vindictive by nature! Its bad but that's just me. If u pinch me, I'll slap u. If u slap me I'll break your leg. If u'll break my leg, I'll shoot you. Live! Be warned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How easy is it to forgive some1 ur have been wit for 6 months, who spends time wit u, takes care of u and even pays for ur vacation. On embarking on vacation, u realise via facebook dat he was having introduction with a preg lady. Must men lie? Why can't dey learn to call a spade a spade after dis drama, d guy came begging dat he neva knew wat came ova him. Imagine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like you said, once we begin to see forgiveness as more for us than the offender, we will learn to let go. We can never forget unfortunately, but you know you truly have forgiven when there is no ill feelings or thoughts when you see the person again. I know its easier said than done though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes!! Forgiveness is easy.. To forget is my problem. God help us all

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forgive people and try to forget. I am more of the type that promise me things, I knw am not suppose to say @ all. The other day was talking to a old friend and he brought up this idea tht I told him something few years back. I wish I didn't becos the guy in question feels bad whenever he brings it up. My other regret would be introducing certain people to my male friends. It is well in Jesus name(amen). Thanks4 the right up Biscoco

    ReplyDelete
  16. At some point, i have said the words"i will never forgive you" but was it worth it? Nope! it just keeps you holding on to the past.

    www.spynaija.blogspot.com
    She Spy's

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do i 4give a guy i met when he had nothin, no job or money and I stood by him for complete 4 years, lived with him for 1 year and I was stupid enough to have abortion 3 times risking my dear life.now working, bought a car and getting very comfotable. He then realised he can't marry me!!!!! He's even dating someone he once introduced to me as a Colleague @ work.......MEN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete