Friday 24 August 2012

THE LAW FINALLY CAUGHT UP WITH ME




There are certain immutable laws that simply can't be cheated, for instance, the " in-law"(lol!).  There is no way in the world you can escape having in-laws( as long as you have an intention to get married, or you have married siblings). Frankly, being affiliated with new people should be exciting or shouldn't it be?. However, this isn't usually the case. Most people dread having or meeting their in-laws, most especially, their female in-laws.  As a matter of fact, a friend of mine( single) confessed that she hopes her husband's mother dies before they meet. Harsh right? But homegirl has her reasons. An in-law is  a person who has a legal affinity with another via marriage. They include; parent-in-law, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law. 

Holy molly! The awful stories we hear about mothers-in-law aka  monsters-in-law are completely terrifying. Stereotypically, mothers-in-law MIL(in short),  have a bad reputation. A lot of women don't want a relationship with their prospective MIL for fear of being maltreated. It sure doesn't help that our mothers, sisters and aunties have told us all these scary stories or some of us are actually eye-witnesses. Decades of studies academic as well as social, have revealed that nearly two-thirds of women complain they've suffered long-term stress arising from friction with their husband's mother. Does this sound familiar? Are you in that situation? In turn, mothers- in-law complained bitterly about the exclusion from their son's lives and from their grandchildren.

The in-law drama affects both men and women, but the most common clashes exist between a woman and her female in-laws(sister in-law and mother-in-law). Although men have issues with their in-laws, in-law tensions hit women hardest. Wheeee!!!! 

"I look at my 5 year old son and wonder what sort of mother-in-law I will be. I hope I will get along with his eventual wife, cause my own experience is making me lose it. The folks at Yaba left(popular psychiatric hospital) may be having a new guest pretty soon. I'm on the verge of joining my fore fathers in sky. Call me dramatic but you have no clue, until you step into my shoes. My name is Anu, and I am a daughter-in-law with a mother-in-law from hell and a sister-in-law who I have no doubt dines with the devil( I call her Jezebel). I discovered my mother-in-law was actually a monster-in-law at my first meeting with the family. She openly trashed me, telling her son(my then boyfriend) "Ha! Kola this is not your type, why are you lowering your standards?"  she said staring at me in disgust. My knees went weak, and in that moment, I swear I sensed danger but "love wan tintin" I held on tight. It got worse when he finally popped the question. She immediately called for a meeting, with the attendees being just me and her. "Don't think you can take my son away from me, just know that every act of kindness I show you is because of my baby, understood?, she said, her eyes looking fierce like that of a serial killer, Aileen Wuornos had nothing on her. She sure made her point cause I was too terrified to utter a word to my husband, maybe I should have. What followed were constant insults, rejection,and once even a threat, "I will get my son another wife, shebi emi ni mo bi(I gave birth to him), she bragged, tapping her hands on her chest. "Your food is too salty" "You dress like a slut"( she said that at her church's anniversary)I should have stayed at home jejeli, but I was trying to please her. "When are you having another child?are just a few of the hurtful remarks I would have to endure. She would make nasty comments to her son just to mock me, "Kola you look malnourished" " You look stressed," insinuating I wasn't taking good care of him. Oh! I have wept endlessly in my marriage. I cry every single day. Kola is getting tired of our constant altercations. He doesn't understand why we just can't get along. It doesn't help that he is her only son. On one occasion, she walked into our matrimonial bedroom unawares, ordering her son to step out for their monthly family meeting, our living-room being the venue, Jezebel was there of course rolling her eyes at me. My husband comes home angry every day because she tells him negative things about me. I always state my case but he's slowly losing his grip. My husband and I  barely talk and this is a result of the strained relationship I have with the other women in his life. Before you guys start judging me, thinking i'm some kind of crazy bitch, i have kissed and licked their asses in the past just to make him happy, but these witches mean business. What am I to do? I'm losing the love of my life and my mind! The " in-law" has caught up with me. Women, whether we like it or not, the "in law" will catch up with us".

At the end of the day, the mother-in-law stereotype cannot be generalized, there are actually wonderful mothers-in-law, who treat you even better than your birth mother. Poor mothers-in-law, they always seem to be the brunt of the joke. Often portrayed as overbearing, nosy, bossy, or sometimes, even downright evil.  Some of them actually mean no harm, we could simply translate their actions to mean- "Don't push me away" "Don't see me as a threat"  "Don't patronize me" "Tell me I did a great job raising my son" etc.  Are you a victim of the mother-in-law drama? Are you single and  paranoid about what your MIL would be like? what would you do if you were in Anu's shoes? Please drop a line.............

Note: if you've enjoyed all my posts, why not subscribe to my feed? It's easy, simply type in your email address on the "follow by email" icon and you'll get updates on new posts. Dont forget to share this post with your friends and family! They might learn a thing or two. Stay fab!

7 comments:

  1. Not only motherin laws dat are wicked also sisin laws and bro inlaws, I hve a friend who got married last year dec, her mother in law is even nice, but d sis and bro in law are mkin life miserable 2 her 2 d extend dat she and her hubby hardly talk, up till now she is frustrated , her hubby has not even touched her 4 d past 6month, it is very bad, and I hve some friends dat dier mother in laws are so sweet , and God sent, may d almighty favour us all, and may we not be victims of such amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are v.real life issues and ul think u only see this in Nigerian movies, lool! I honestly wld advice Anu 2 pray, not 2 stress herself with trying 2 satisfy her inlaws, b'cos most likely will never b satisfied, unless God touches them and more importantly struggle 2 revamp her relationship with her husband, so she dosent loose both ways..Obk

    ReplyDelete
  3. My moda inlaw is an ugly witch! God will soon kill er 4 us! Even er son cnt stand er. Iya aje oshi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The truth is that there are some MILs who just believe that nobody is good enough for their son,and sisters in law who are absolutely annoying.they see the negative aspect of whatever u do and try to use it against you to your husband.My advice make sure u marry a Man not a mummy,s boy who will protect you irrespective of what his mother or sisters think.Most of all be yourself and dont try to please anybody.Finally show Love regardless of their attitude towards you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a few mil's r nice and I stress jst a few. Even d so-called nice ones,cud be "oju aye". I dnt have a mil, she's late but I see wat my frnds go thru, its nt funny o! My frnds mil slaps er(4 times nw) she sed my frnd was rude. My poor frnd wud go cryin to her hubby who will simply jst beg her and tell er to watch her tongue(laiye mi?) I'm sorry I wud have slapped er back(atlist d forth time, or better still stop her by grabbing her hand,holding it tight and squeezing it hand,inflicting pain on her) I was so mad when she told me. So ladies dnt kiss any inlaws ass, dats was Anus main prob. If u kiss ass,get ready to kiss for the rest of ur life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well i can't rilly say much but my to be mother in law is actually amazing and she treats me nice and same thing with my to be sis in law but as some1 said it might be oju aiye...... am sorry oh am a loving and very respectable person but if one iya aje mother inlaw should think she is wicked i will show her pepper as for the sister inlaw she too is going somewhere and she will definitely meet her own mother inlaw somewhere. some mother inlaws deserve to beaten on a reg(God forgive me).I pray God helps us women sha

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooowwww, poor anu! she should just stop kissing their asses and turn a new leaf; as in just become non-nonchalant! more like a bitch!!!! this would amaze them and dey would give themselves brain sharp sharp. of cos she needs her husbands support and be sure he his not easily brain washed!

    ReplyDelete